Merits And Demerits Of Food That Is Genetically Engineered
There are particular foods whose genetic configuration is modified to result in improved aspects such as resistance to harsh conditions, or prolonged life, or even better taste. These foods are said to be Genetically Modified or genetically engineered foods. The Genetically Modified foods are usually created using the latest molecular biology techniques, and are meant for consumption by moth human beings and animals. The modifications of their genetc and chemical composition are carried out in a lab, and the result is a food that has increased nutritional value, and resistance to insects and disease. One such food is corn. The modified corn is able to resist insects’ invasions. Tomatoes are also altered so that their shelf life can be extended. These genetically modified foods have both their merits and limitations.
• Cost effective. Genetically engineered foods are able to withstand harsh environmental conditions and invasions by pests. This is a useful factor for people who would like t practice farming in areas where the conditions do not favor farming.
• Pest resistant. Genetically Modified foods are naturally resistant to attack from pests; therefore, it eliminates the need to use chemicals or additives, such as pesticides.
• Reduce hunger. The modified foods are able to grow much faster than their natural form. The growth process is also more effective, which implies that there is minimal food loss in the farms, or after harvest, and the food can therefore, be transported to poor nations, or grown in extremely harsh conditions to feed people living there. The technology also boasts to produce crops that have medicinal aspects and have particular nutrients that are essential and unattainable by some people, such as iron, and proteins obtained from milk.
• The concept of genetically modified foods is still quite new for the effects on human life to be fully analyzed. Changing the genetic configuration of the food may change some aspects of it that may be unknown to the scientists. In addition to this, the modified chemical properties of the foods may also affect a part of human beings.
• While these foods may be targeted at poor nations, most of these countries may be unable to acquire the Genetically Modified foods, unless they are donated to them by producer nations. This implies that the market for Genetically Modified foods will be controlled by the rich nations. One effect of this is increased dependency on the rich countries, which is not good for the poor economies.
- Merits And Demerits Of Atkins Diet
- Beano Food Enzyme Dietary Supplement
- What Is A Food Allergy?
- Dangerous Botulism Toxins To Be Engineered And Put To Medical Use
- Great Food Sources Of Vitamin A & C
- Nanoparticles Found In Vitamins And Food Can Harm Human Health
- eButton: An Easier Way To Monitor Food Intake, Exercise And Lifestyle
- Plant-Based Food Supplements Contain High Levels Of Carcinogenic Agents